Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Primary Colors

Photobucket

Went to the Knockout in the Mission where my friends the NODZZZ, Naked on the Vague, Blank Dogs and Brilliant Colors were playing. I was surprised to see my friend Zane filling in for the Brilliant Colors bass player. He made the flyer too!

I caught the tail end of the NODZZZ set and was absolutely smitten with the Brilliant Colors. Very reminiscent of one of my favorite girl post-punk bands (Kleenex/Liliput, Modettes) and girl twee pop bands I adore (Tallulah Gosh, Heavenly, Shop Assistants). I love singer/guitarist Jess' vocal delivery.
Here is a clip from a previous show at Aunt Charlie's (I have to remember to bring my camera next time).


Naked on the Vague played one and a half songs. God awful! They are obviously trying to sound No Wave, but moved no one. The guitar was horribly out of tune (purposefully or not, it was terrible) the singer had a terrible voice and the drum machine wasn't working (it pissed off the guitarist so much he threw in the towel!) I hope they never surface in SF again (I know, harsh, but true).

Check out the record and Brilliant Colors live. Completely worth your time.
Photobucket
Should I Tell You
Not This One

images from the Brilliant Colors ms

No comments:

Post a Comment