Friday, November 14, 2008

Tauba Auerbach

Photobucket


photo by John Lee

Not too long ago I picked up an issue of ANPQuarterly (Vol 2. Issue 1) early last month featuring an article on SF native Tauba Auerbach and her typography, calligraphy, prints of anagrams and her most recent work presenting the chaos of human error when crafting repetitive patterns. I instantly fell for her work, not just because it is visually appealing, but because it is smart and expresses a lot of concepts and ideas that I have been interested in studying for the past few years.

Since I was 16, I've always been interested in mathematical, repetitive patterns and semiotics, a study of how signs essentially become a process of communication (language), meaning and shape our understanding of reality. I believe that Auerbach has found an excellent way of comunicating these ideas as an art form (besides contemporary composers like Steve Reich). I'm glad she has been getting a lot of press and acclaim since the article. Here are some images of her work that I admire.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket



and one of her beautiful typewriter designs

Photobucket
(all photos courtesy of taubaauerbach.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment