Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Iconoclast: Young Linda Ronstadt

Photobucket

"Judy Henske who was the then reigning queen of folk music, said to me at The Troubadour: 'Honey, in this town there are four sexes: Men, women, homosexuals, and girl singers.'”
—Linda Ronstadt
The best compliment I ever got was that I look like a young, Asian Linda Ronstadt. This is a look that I have perfected, and unfortunately abandoned, over the past 5 or so years (I'm pulling out some old favorites for fall though). The heavy fringe, the messy uncombed 60s hive, the giant silver hoops and Mexican jewelry, the late 60s-early 70s garb full of country references, big bell sleeves and obscenely short cut-offs. I guess because I love Scandinavian, minimalism and Japanese designers, people think I wouldn't be into "sweet and pretty."
Well, it's more like "sweet, pretty and country."

Why Linda doesn't get credit for being a great dresser is beyond me. She clearly influenced Jenny Lewis and Zooey Dechanel.

Photobucket
Not to mention her records with the Stone Ponys and her first three country rock albums were a
showmanship of excellent songwriting, musicianship and brilliant covers. The boyfriend is always commenting on how good she was at finding amazing musicians to back her up. Takes one to know one, I guess.

Photobucket
She was really cute then, too.

Here are some adorable clips of her work during her prime.


Check out the jumper!


And the floral bell sleeve dress! This song is from the record, Silk Purse, which is my favorite for it's extra dose of country, honky tonk and one of the best country record covers (featuring her getting dirty with pigs in a pen).


So much soul! Her whole band rips.

No comments:

Post a Comment